Turtle Watermelon (and Recipe)
This inspires me for summer brunches at the infamous hood penthouse..
Oh and I was able to find the materials and instructions to create this edible turtle courtesy of Class Brain..
Materials Needed For the Watermelon Turtle:
1 Oblong watermelon
Melon baller or other scoop spoon
Channel knife (you can substitute with the top of a standard vegetable peeler)
Dry erase marker
2 Peppercorns, or other eye pieces
Leaves, plants, or other accents as desired
Toothpicks or other skewers
|Working on the shell of the Watermelon Turtle – Courtesy of Class Brain|
Instructions for the Watermelon Turtle:
- Choose an oblong seedless watermelon for carving.
- Wash watermelon and pat dry.
- Cut in half lengthwise.
- Hollow out both sides, using a melon baller.
- Carve out block design in the bottom side, using a channel knife.
- Use a dry erase marker to trace turtle shell, legs, and head on top side of watermelon.
- Carve shapes with knife, and add designs with channel knife.
- Add peppercorns to the eye holes to fill.
- Fill bottom with fruit salad.
- Attach legs and head to shell, using strong toothpicks or skewers, and put on top of salad. Add accents around base with leaves and plants.